Covered California enrollment for 2020 just began on October 15, and it ends on December 15, for coverage effective January 1, 2020.
The new law extends open enrollment through Jan. 31, 2020- which means your coverage will be effective as of February 1, 2020, if enrolled between Dec. 16, 2019 and Jan. 31, 2020. Not sure where you need to start?
Skyline Benefit can set you up with a Covered California agent that can guide you through the process of choosing the right care options for yourself and your family.
What is new in 2020?
New financial help is available to more Californians than ever before.
And Covered California makes it easy to see if you are eligible.
Middle-income Californians who previously did not qualify for financial help because their incomes exceeded federal limits. The amount of their subsidy will vary based on their age and income and the health care costs in their region.
Under the Affordable Care Act, all health insurance plans for individual and small-group markets are required to provide essential health benefits. Essential health benefits are comprehensive packages of items and services that most individuals need for their health care. There are several categories of care included in these benefits, such as:
- Emergency services, ambulatory patient services, and hospitalization
- Maternity, newborn, and pediatric care
- Chronic disease management and other preventive care and wellness services
- Behavioral health treatments, including those for mental health and substance use disorders
- Prescription drug access and laboratory services
- Habilitative and rehabilitative devices and services
There are several tiers of healthcare available through Covered California, which can be split into four main categories: platinum; gold; silver; and bronze. Platinum covers 90% of care costs. Gold covers 80% of care costs. Silver can cover anywhere from 70% to 93% depending on which plan you qualify for. Bronze covers approximately 60% of care costs. You can learn more about what you can expect to pay for various services under each tier of care with this chart.
Is your small business eligible for Covered California?
- You must have at least one but no more than 100 employees.
- Your business needs to meet certain contribution and participation requirements.
- Your business need to have at least one employee who receives a W-2 form.
- Federal tax credits are available to small businesses that purchase health insurance through Covered California.
Do you need help with your Covered California application?
Skyline Benefit is a Covered California certified agency in Orange County, and we can guide you through the process of choosing the right insurance options for you.